Thursday, September 4, 2014

Recipes on Recipes | Pumpkin Everything

As you may know, if you've been keeping up with me, I'm a little bit all in on the whole pumpkin thing this fall. I'm pretty serious about it. 

My original goal is to make 10 different pumpkin recipes this fall (I'll surely repeat my favorites once I find them). However, at this point, I've already made three pumpkin recipes, and it's not even technically fall. So, 10 recipes is still a good goal, but I am going to challenge myself to 20! 
I am just excited to get baking/ cooking and share the pumpkin love with whoever crosses my path. I might have to send pumpkin baked goods home because I still have yet to see other people that I know often in our new town, other than my husband. If you are in CVille and you want some pumpkin anything, please let me know! I'm not planning on gaining pounds during this culinary adventure...so I'm gonna need some help with the consuming part. 
With that said, I will be documenting my pumpkin adventures (aka writing down the recipes) right here. 
Here is what I've made so far...
1. "Skinny" Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
2. Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
3. Homemade Dairy Free Pumpkin Spice Creamer
4. (as of this morning, I also made pumpkin pancakes, but those will come later).
I already talked about the pumpkin cookies last week, so click the link to get the recipe. They are DELICIOUS, and I've already made them twice. However, the second time I made them I used oat flour instead of whole wheat...definitely not as good. Just saying.
For recipe number 2 of pumpkin recipe adventure: 
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins

This recipe is super easy, but I failed to take many pictures (still bad at this blogging thing). 
Ingredients: 
  • 1 can pumpkin puree (about 15 oz)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt

I don't know if this is weird, but I love the look of all the ingredients combined before they are stirred!

Directions: 
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Add all ingredients to one bowl and mix (that's what the recipe said, I'm not complaining about dry ingredients and wet ingredients being combined all at once!)
  • Grease the bottom of muffin cups.
  • Scoop batter into muffin cups (they should be about 3/4 way full)
  • Bake for about 20 mins, or until golden brown

The only thing I really changed was using whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour...I used 1 cup whole wheat and 3/4 all purpose. The outcome was fantastic!

I made about 15 muffins with this recipe and they were delicious! The sides of some of the muffins got a little too brown, so next time I'll probably bake them a little less. I'll also probably add chocolate chips, because chocolate and pumpkin combined is everything that is good in the world.

Here is a little recipe card for your baking convenience:


And now, for the Pumpkin Coffee Creamer.

If you read my post about PSL's, then you saw my rant about how upset I am that they are basically poisonous. Therefore, I am finding ways around this. Eating a pumpkin cookie or a muffin is just not the same as drinking delicious pumpkin flavored lattes. Actually, pumpkin cookies/ muffins should be enjoyed WITH a pumpkin coffee of some sort. 
So, I went on my search. And I found countless recipes for how to make pumpkin spice coffee creamer. I actually probably could have chosen a better recipe (actually, I kind of made my own recipe from looking at a few different ones, and I don't even have a real source because of that). 
Anyways, I wanted something non dairy, because I really am trying to avoid dairy as much as possible for a few health reasons. I HATE the taste of almond milk and coffee...I really wish I didn't but I do, and that's that. So I had to go with coconut milk. Here is what I did.
Ingredients:
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 4 tbsp pumpkin puree
  • 3 packets stevia in the raw
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
*stevia not pictured

Directions:
  • Pour all ingredients into a small/ medium saucepan
  • On low heat, mix all ingredients until combined (about 5 mins)
  • Serve in coffee!
  • To store, keep in refrigerator for up to a week and use in your coffee everyday!

Here's the thing, I'm determined to make it better. It is good. If you try it and make it just like this, it will be good. But at some point, I'm making this again and adding regular coconut milk (from a carton) or something. This doesn't make much because you have to use a good amount to get that creamy taste in your coffee (at least, I do). It works! But I think I can make it better. I feel that way about everything I make, pretty much. 

So there you have it, 3 down, 17 recipes to go! I am so obsessed with this goal, you should really check out my Pinterest boards to see how many pumpkin recipes I have pinned. Check back soon for a Pumpkin Pancake recipe and more pumpkin recipes!

post signature
Treat Yo Self, Day 4, Little Friday
P.S Don't miss a post! Follow me on bloglovin or get my posts sent to your e-mail!