Friday, September 12, 2014

Coffee Date | Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Hello there!
I know I have been a little absent this week…but today I am linking up with the coffee date link up to catch you all up a bit!

Back home, I loved coffee dates with my best friends, especially coffee dates with my friend Natalie at our favorite place, Curbside, or coffee dates with Marissa at Beans on Broad back in college. They are really the best way to catch up. 

#flasbackfriday coffee date pictures with Marissa and Natalie.


On Tuesday, I talked about how slowly enjoying a hot drink in the morning can really help us reflect and think. Here I am talking over coffee again (I'm literally drinking coffee right now) but this time, it's about catching up and spilling hearts out. 

When coffee is paired with friends, I think it allows us to open up and talk about what's been really going on in our lives; our dreams, our disappointments, what we're excited for, what's hurting us, etc. 

If you don't have coffee yet, before we start, go down to the bottom of this post and make yourself a homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte! It is so worth it!!

Today, if we were on a coffee date, I'd make you that pumpkin spice latte and have a coffee date from home, and here's what I'd let you in on:
-This week has been one of the most draining since we've moved. I don't know why, really, but I'm tired and aching for home more than ever. However, Nick and I just keep straining to look up and trust God that we are in the right place, even if we are drained. Nick is much more drained than I, and let's just say we are very excited that the weekend is just about here!

-Speaking of Nick, he is just so wonderful to me. I can't believe after his crazy draining days, he has the energy to come home and still be such a loving husband. If we were on a coffee date, I'd probably gush a little more about being newlyweds, and I'd definitely talk a whole lot more about Nick, but I'll save it!

-I am finally starting to get questions answered about subbing and future employment. For example, I found out getting my VA teacher's license is my best bet…I was frustrated about this, but am now very excited because I found out I only have to take one extra test because PA teacher's are already awesome enough! I'm taking that test later today, and then I'm applying for that license!

-We got cable this week! It sounds so silly, because we haven't had cable since we've been married and we really don't need it, but having the TV on during my lonely days makes me feel…less lonely. And it definitely helps that we got to watch the Steeler's game from our home last night. Let's just say, we've been super excited about this. 

-Despite being drained this week and feeling lonely at times…there are a few things I'm super excited for that keep me moving forward! (1) Marissa, my best friend from college, will be (I think) coming here towards the end of the month!! She may even be moving here, which will be such a gigantic blessing in so many ways! (2) My family is coming to visit in a few short weeks, and then we will be going home for a weekend two weeks later! (3)Beer Fest next weekend, which will be extremely fun, especially if some friends from home visit that weekend as well!

-I've been waking up a little after 6am every day because I do this new thing where once Nick wakes up, I can't fall back asleep…so annoying (not him, me!) Today, my eyes are very tired, and I've got a busy day ahead. So what did I do? I decided to finally make a homemade PSL! It turned out so delicious (and so much better for my health than Starbucks or probably any coffee shop version), that I just have to share it! Best part- it's super easy!!

Let's talk about my pumpkin quest really quick…

If you've seen my fall goals, you know that I wanted to make 10 pumpkin recipes this fall…and if you've read on since then, you've probably realized I'm already close to that point, and it's not even fall. 

I changed my goal to 20 recipes, and here's what we've got so far.
1. Skinny Pumpkin Cookies
2. Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
3. Pumpkin Spice Creamer
4. Pumpkin Pancakes did not turn out as good as I wanted them to be, so I'm trying a different recipe and not counting these.
4. Pumpkin Oatmeal Choc. Chip Breakfast Cookies 
5. Pumpkin Protein Muffins 
6. Homemade, low sugar, Pumpkin Spice Latte

I've shared the first three recipes, and I'll hope to share recipe 4 and 5 in the near future! I'm definitely sharing the pumpkin spice latte with you because you should make it today to celebrate Friday with me! 

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Original Recipe Source

What you'll need:
-1/2 cup of milk of choice (I used coconut milk)
-1 tsp brown sugar
-1 tbsp pure pumpkin puree
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/4 tsp pumpkin spice (or mixture of cinnamon and nutmeg)
-1 cup strong, hot coffee
-1 packet Stevia (or other sweetener of choice)
-2 tbsp creamer of choice (I just used whole milk because that's what I had)

Directions:
1. Make 8 oz of coffee (make it strong, and if you have pumpkin spice flavored coffee, you should definitely use it!) In my opinion, a french press makes the best strong coffee!

2. While coffee is being made, combine the milk, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and spices in a glass, liquid measuring cup. Mix extremely well with a fork or whisk. 

3. Microwave your pumpkin flavored milk for about 1-2 mins.

4. In a nice big mug, add the milk first, then the coffee. Add your creamer, mix and taste. If you need extra sweetness, add your stevia. I added about half a packet and I probably did not even need that, it's already sweet as is!

5. If you have a milk frother, you can use this to make the top frothy like a coffee shop latte!

6. (Optional step) add whipped cream on top if you prefer! I did not have whipped cream, but if I did I would have totally added it!

The best part about this latte is it actually tastes like pumpkin because it has real pumpkin in it! Also, it only has 4g of added sugar! 


Thanks for having coffee with me! Enjoy, and happy Friday!

How has your week been, and what are you excited for this weekend?
Also, let me know if you try the latte recipe and how you enjoyed it/ made changes!

post signature

P.S Don't miss a post! Follow me on bloglovin or get my posts sent to your e-mail!