Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Making my Paleo "Rules"

It keeps raining here. It is funny because so many Charlottesville-ians (that's what I'll call them), when it rains for two days in a row, start to freak out, or act like it has rained for three weeks straight already.

It hasn't. But it is going to keep raining a few more days, and it has for the past four or so. And I just think it is glorious. Something about the rain reminds me of home. Maybe it is that it is always raining in Western PA. 

So this weekend, we took advantage of the gloom and the rain. We stayed in, I re-decorated for fall, Nick diligently cleaned the house (he's the best). We hung out with friends in their homes and in breweries. We did a lot of reading. We went to church. And I meal-prepped to prepare myself to be kinder to my body.


Through all of my reading and listening to Podcasts and all, I came up with some rules for my own version of a Paleo challenge. I don't want to restrict myself in a way that won't make this sustainable. I want this to become a lifestyle (if it works for me, that is), so there has to be room for error.

Main rule of thumb: Eat foods that have been accessible for a long time. I don't like to think of it as "the way cavemen ate," because that just doesn't make sense to me for a number of reasons. For example, I'd rather eat in a way that more recent ancestors have eaten (you know, the people that the evidence is a bit more clear on). Also, we've made advancements in the world, we don't cook on fires (did they even cook anything? I don't know much about cavemen), and there is like no correspondence between their life then and how we live today in America and other first world countries. So how could we possibly call our way of eating "primal" in reference to cavemen when we cook in kitchens and feed our families at tables? 

Rather, these should be foods your great, great grandmother had access to, and not the stuff that she didn't have access to, like say, Oreos, or lean pockets (not that I really eat those anyways, but it is just an example). PS, no judging if you eat those things. I am simply explaining what is definitely not "Paleo."

Here are some more specific rules that I am using after researching a bunch:

1. No dairy, other than grass fed butter. If I don't see any difference, I'll switch to Ghee, but that stuff is expensive! Apparently, butter has a different make up so it does not affect the digestive system in the same way as dairy. Ghee is even better, but like I said, we are working with butter for now.

*I realize that my great, great grandmother my have had access to dairy, but I just don't do well with it. If I did, I would absolutely allow full fat, grass raised, organic everything dairy. But that isn't going to work for me.

2. Cut out most grains, and all gluten. No wheat, especially. I can't wait to see if this changes anything for my digestive system. 

The above two rules are the ones I am going to try to be most diligent on for at least 3-4 weeks straight, with no cheating. I know I am intolerant to dairy, and I have a suspicion I might be intolerant to gluten as well. I've tried to cut it out before, but cupcakes, and muffins, and beer, and bread...it's hard, you know?

3. Cut out added sugars, because they're basically poison. I am allowing some raw honey/ pure maple syrup and stevia on occasion. Because it won't work for me to go without all of that.

4. Avoid processed foods, and ingredients that are typical to these types of foods: Soy of any kind, Seed oils, Corn oils, Hydrogenated Oils (what does that even mean?), etc. My coconut oil spray from TJs has soy lecithin in it. This has been the hardest hit to take so far. I'll be cooking with real oils and butters I guess!

5. Use sparingly or not at all: Legumes. I'm not that sad about this. However, I will eat the most organic form of hummus that I can find or make my own. It is the only healthy snack that I really love other than fruit. Can't live without it!

Things I am adding to my diet:

1. Fermented foods. Right now, just Kombucha, because I really can't think of much else that I want to eat that is fermented, or where to get it. If you have suggestions, let me know! This is for stomach healing purposes. 


2. Gelatin. This is for healing purposes and protein purposes (because I can't really find a protein powder that doesn't violate at least one of the above rules, and if I do find it, I bet it will be awful).

3. Magnesium and Omega 3 supplements. These are just the most recommended supplements from what I have read.

There are a lot of other foods I am adding that I don't normally eat, but I'm not going to list all of them.

The stuff I get to eat:

1. A lot of veggies, at least 6 large servings a day. I love vegetables, but that is a lot, and I am going to try my best.

Pictured are veggies and (my favorite) starchy carbs.

2. At least four servings of protein a day. This is going to be tough as well because (1)eating that much protein from meat makes me feel a little weird, like I am eating too much. (2)I am only supplementing it with gelatin, and I'm not sure how I'll enjoy consuming that quite yet. (3)Eggs have been making me feel awful, so those aren't really an option, and eggs are a Paleo diet's best friend. 

3. Lots of starchy carbs! Yay! I couldn't be happier about this. I am choosing a high carb low fat version, but honestly, I'm not going to keep track too diligently (I want this to be a lifestyle, not some crazy counting obsession, which is what it always turns into for me). Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Other starchy veggies that are delicious (think, pumpkin, sweet squashes, etc.) And fruits- all the fruits I could ever want! Can you tell I'm excited about this part?

4. Healthy fats. I'll be eating these somewhat sparingly, but it will be enough. I'm not a huge fats lover, other than peanut butter, but I also don't eat them in their full servings for the most part. Coconut oil, coconut milk, nut butters, olive oil, butter, animal fats all count here.

5. Drinks: I am going to drink water, lots of it. And coffee and tea and kombucha to my heart's desire!

The stuff I'll have as treats:

1. Dark chocolate, every once in a while. Because chocolate.

2. Alcohol: Wine and Ciders (dry). I need something to numb the pain of losing beer...

I'll probably try to limit these things to 2-3 times a week. We will see. I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

So there you have it. It is honestly pretty simple. I just have to spend a little extra time reading labels in grocery stores to make sure I'm not buying processed things with hidden ingredients, but really most of the stuff I buy doesn't have a label.


Moral of the story: If you are trying to change your lifestyle to a healthier one, I suggest doing your research and finding something that works for you. Don't follow one single plan made up by one person (or even a group of people). There is such complexity to our bodies and lives, so what one person came up with because it works for them might not work for you.

I don't know everything, but I have tried so many different diets, work out plans, etc. Things seem to work best when I just calm down, stop measuring, and do what I know will work best for me. This is an experiment in healthy living, and I know that things will change over time. I need to give myself grace for that, and come up with something that specifically works for me, my body, and my personality!

Monday (day 1) went really well, other than I probably didn't eat enough because this stuff fills me up fast, and I felt like I was going to pass out after my work out. But we will get there! Let me know if you've tried Paleo, and any foods that you love! So far, Kombucha is my sweet tooth's life saver (yep...it has only been one day, and my sweet tooth already needed to be saved.)