Monday, August 24, 2015

Why High School and College Will Not be the Best Years of Your Life

There are things I miss about high school. To list a few- having my meals made for me, living with family, not having much at all to worry about, great teachers, living in a small town, and success coming easy- success as in good grades, that is.

There are things I miss about college, too. To list a few: friends feeling like family because I lived with them, finally finding friends I can be my true self around, classes that felt purposeful, inspiring professors, literature classes, my small, college town, my campus ministry.

I had a wonderful experience during both of the listed seasons in my life. Sometimes I do wish to relive them (okay, I never actually wish to relive high school, but I can't say the same for college). But one thing I will NEVER say to a college or high school student is to "seize the day" because "these are the best moments of your life."

Ugh. When I hear that, I just think of how seriously sad that statement is. I believe in cherishing each moment- living in the present- but I do NOT believe in telling someone that they are currently in the only best season of their life, and the rest is just going to pail in comparison- how depressing is that?

So, dear high school and/or college student:



As you start a new school year, here is some real advice. Live in the moment. Not because your future will be worse, but rather because your future is not right now. Your present is right now, and you should be present in it.

I know you probably will hear people say that you are currently preparing for the real world, and the real world is hard, but when you get there, things will all be much more important, and much less fun. Instead, I want you to realize that right now you are living in the real world, as a real human being, no matter if you are 14 or 21. What you say and do matters right now- you have an effect on the (real) world, and (real) people, whether you believe it or not. 

Have empathy, and put others before yourself. Don't do stupid things- but if you do, know that there is grace for that. Take refuge in the truth that you are loved and you belong, no matter if you have the most wonderful, truest friends, or you are hurting because you just found out your friends are actually horrible. It happens to the best of us. 

I hope that the silly advice to "live it up" because these are the best years of your life doesn't make you feel pressure to have cool friends or go to cool parties that are actually superficial and meaningless. I hope it doesn't make you sad because you, in fact, don't feel like these are the best years at all. It gets better, I promise. 

And just think- people that peak in high school and college are bound to live a long life of the apparently mediocre days that must come after the best years of their life that they've already lived. That is actually sad.

There are things that I miss about high school and college. And there are things that are hard about "the real world." Like paying bills, starting my career, making big decisions, making friends outside of the college setting.

But there are so many things that I love about right now, this season: living with my seriously amazing husband, maturing in my faith, starting the career that I've dreamed of, learning the steady flow of day to day life, making friends in different seasons of life than the one I am in, growing in friendship with my parents and family, living in a new place, starting new adventures.






These are the best days of my life...so far. And I want to live in the present. But I also know that if I get to keep living...the best days of my life will be starting a family, being a parent, getting to see my husband be the best dad, and my parents the best grandparents. Then being a grandparent, retiring, growing old with my husband...the list goes on.

I want to live like today is the best day of my life, but I also want to have hope that there is so much life ahead of me. The truth is, even if there isn't so much life on earth ahead of me, I have faith that there is so much eternal life ahead of me- and those will be the true best days of my life. 

But as for right now, I want to just live purposefully, and be fully present, and know that this isn't all there is, but it is good and it is a blessing

I hope that is what you will do- live purposefully in this season of your life- but know that there is so much life to be lived. So please don't peak in high school, or college. Because that leaves you a lot of mediocre life left to live. 

Instead, live like you are in the real world. Live like you matter, right now, no matter how young you are. Live like you can make a difference. And live like your best years are ahead of you, but your best days so far are happening right now.